Question ICD 10 coding for vaping

imcbmcc

Contributor
Best answers
Advice needed for coding vaping injuries. The pulmonologist that I work with just wants to use J68.9 and I feel that an injury code, toxic effect, should also be coded. Any advice?

Thank you so much!

Christy McCarthy CPC

In a Coding Clinic example regarding a pediatric patient that was wheezing after exposure to e-cigarettes, the advice was to report the codes for wheezing and Z77.29, Contact with and (suspected) exposure to other hazardous substances . I do think that an adverse effect due to inhalation of vapors might be considered also.

In a Coding Clinic example regarding a pediatric patient that was wheezing after exposure to e-cigarettes, the advice was to report the codes for wheezing and Z77.29, Contact with and (suspected) exposure to other hazardous substances . I do think that an adverse effect due to inhalation of vapors might be considered also.

Agree as well, Code J68.9 seems to cover the whole aspect of whats going on. Wouldn't use a T code in my opinion.

Agree as well, Code J68.9 seems to cover the whole aspect of whats going on. Wouldn't use a T code in my opinion.

Hi Christy,

The CDC is currently investigating an outbreak of severe lung disease by those who currently or recently used an e-cigarette products.

Yes, you would be correct in selecting a code from J68, however, there is an instructional note that indicates that you are to code first (T51-T65) to identify the cause. I would recommend that you look at a code from T59.8- or T59.9- category.