Wiki ICD-10 ED encounter: initial + subsequent

ens555

Networker
Best answers
The guidelines state that ED encounter is an example of active treatment. Also that medication adjustment is an example of subsequent care. When a pt returns to the ED w/ pain at recent fx site (previously treated) and gets RX this would be coded as subsequent in most cases I believe.

I find the guidelines are unclear on assigning the 7th character for ED coders and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

The guidelines state that ED encounter is an example of active treatment. Also that medication adjustment is an example of subsequent care. When a pt returns to the ED w/ pain at recent fx site (previously treated) and gets RX this would be coded as subsequent in most cases I believe.

I find the guidelines are unclear on assigning the 7th character for ED coders and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Am not sure what is unclear. Initial refers to the patient's initial encounter fir active treatment of the injury. Pain management due to having the injury during the healing phase is subsequent. Use the G 89 code for the pain due to trauma and the fx code with 7th character for subsequent