Wiki ICD-10 Refresher Webinar - Coding Answer Questions

chief1kee

New
Best answers
Fracture Webinar - Case #3 - 1. The displaced transverse fracture of the right ulna is not stated as open. How was the fracture determined to be open based on the answer S55.221C? I would code as S55.221A since it was not documented as open - 2. The open fracture of the radius with extensive communition of the distal shaft answer was S55.351C based on the extent of tissue damage they determined it was open fracture type IIIA. Where in the coding book does it provide the Gustilo open fracture type classifications? Are we suppose to be determining that as coders? Shouldn't the provider be documenting the Gusilo open fracture type in order for us to code properly. The fracture type was not documented so I would code as S55.351B for initial encounter for open fracture NOS.
Please help me understand this - thanks

The code book tells you the open fractures are based on the gustillo scale. There are other scales for classifying open fx, so your provider may not be familiar with the gustilllo scale. You can google it and you will locate the definitions for the different open fx types. The code can determine the open fx type if adequate description is provided.