Wiki ICD-10 Training Issue

wrightju1

Networker
Best answers
I work in the compliance department for a large medical group. My team has passed the ICD-10 proficiency test and developed a plan to get our providers trained on documentation for the change. Now we are working on staff training for the change. We have made it clear that this is not proficiency test training. It is a refresher on coding conventions and concepts and what the new rules will be under ICD-10.

My issue is that it has morphed into basic coding instruction. The latest is that "We want everyone who comes out of the trainng to be able to code". I have made it clear that we are NOT coding instructors. They insist on promoting front desk girls who have no training or experience and giving them a dollor more an hour to handle coding/billing at the clinics.

I can't seem to stop the momentum.

It really frustrates me and I feel that we are shooting ourselves in the foot by going along with this. I paid alot of money and worked really hard to get my training, pass my course, and pass my certification. With all the CPCs out there who can't find work, I feel as if I'm selling out by training people to code who have NO intention of putting in the effort or work I have or my fellow CPCs have.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I tend to be very direct and I'm trying to be tactful about this. But quite frankly it hacks me off.

How would you handle this?

Littleone,

Never be afraid to ask a question(s), there is always another person with the same question who is also afraid....ask or you'll never learn.

Who is tasked with the training, yourself or your supervisor? Have you talked to anyone with integrity who can give you good information or at least steer you in the right direction, maybe your AAPC chapter or anyone who you believe is a good solid sounding board?

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation. We are trying to find a way to train office staff and providers but are finding that we are starting from scratch coding wise. When we start focusing on coding and what is required, we feel the same way. Why should we basically teach them to be coders when they are not certified and have no intention to become certified? It seems like a fine line between teaching ICD-10 vs training people to be coders. Any opinions on how to train staff would be much appreciated here as well, you are certainly not a lone wolf!

ICD 10 Training Issue

I'm in the same boat. One of our CEOs wants me to come up with a list of Keywords for providers and nursing staff to search within our E.H.R. more efficiently...however i'm at a loss of what to tell them and where to go. I cannot find any information on the internet and quite honestly the options seem endless.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

Thank you
~Marty

I agree with you all. I think this is a major issue that, for some reason, was completely overlooked. I am in the same boat, being asked to train my fellow billers to code. They are not coders, they are billers, and that is a big difference. I wrote a post a few weeks asking for help in this, but no responses to mine either. I think this is a huge issue that is not even being acknowledged. You would think the AAPC and other coding organizations would have forseen this. Why are we paying to be CPCs and earning CEUs when we clearly can do the job at the same payrate as non-coders? Seems like it's becoming not worth it now.