Wiki ICD-9 Certification

brittyann

Best answers
I was wondering if I get my ICD-9 certification now, would I need to get re-certified when ICD-10 comes out or will CEUs be ok to continue my certification?
I tried asking my teachers at school but they weren't so sure. Any help would be great, I am freaking out about the billing certification at the moment, so if I only have to take 2 tests that would make me feel a lot better.

My understanding is that if you are certified in ICD-9 you will only need to take an online test for ICD-10, and you can use whatever resources you want and you can take it at home. It will not be proctored.

If you are not certified by the time ICD-10 comes, to get certified you will need to take a proctored exam.

Hope this helps relieve some stress!

Christina

Yes, my understanding of it is the same as cmedina. If you get certified in ICD9 you will not have to take a proctored exam in icd10. You will have to test in ICD10 just not in the same manor as if you werent certified.

ICD 9 vs 10 Testing

Great questions- let me know. I would think its best to ask AAPC education department in your chapter. I will check mine and past along any news..:)

Your Local Chapter should be able to help you, but I am in the same boat. If at all possible try to attend a local chapter meeting that has a boot camp for Icd-10 schedule in the next few months. In the Albany area our meeting is this coming Wed.

Gwen

Icd-10

My understanding is that if you are certified in ICD-9 you will only need to take an online test for ICD-10, and you can use whatever resources you want and you can take it at home. It will not be proctored.

If you are not certified by the time ICD-10 comes, to get certified you will need to take a proctored exam.

Hope this helps relieve some stress!

Christina

You also get 2 attempts at this 75 question exam and have until 2016 to pass.;)

Here are the facts from the AAPC Website. Hope that this answers all your questions :)

The ICD-10 Proficiency Assessment is the only step of our training plan required for all certified AAPC members (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®). You should prepare yourself as you would for other exams or assessments. To ensure employers continue to have confidence in a certified coder's ability to accurately code the current code sets, AAPC certified members will have two years to pass an open-book, online, unproctored assessment.
It will measure your understanding of ICD-10-CM format and structure, groupings and categories of codes, ICD-10-CM official guidelines, and coding concepts.
  • Required for all AAPC credential holders (excluding CPPM®, CPCO™, and CIRCC®), recommended for all others working with the new code set
  • Two (2) years to take and pass the assessment, beginning October 1, 2013 (one year before implementation of ICD-10) and ending September 30, 2015 (one year after implementation)
  • 75 questions, 3.5 hours, open-book, online, unproctored, use any resource available
  • Coders will have two (2) attempts at passing (reaching an 80% score) over a two year window (Oct 1, 2013 – Sept. 30, 2015) for the $60 administration fee
  • ICD-10-CM only (ICD-10-PCS will not be covered in the assessment)
  • No CEUs given