Wiki icd draft books

smaher82

Guru
Best answers
Hi

I have the AAPC 2014 complete draft book that I received during a book camp. Will I need to purchase a 2015 ICD book for oct -dec and then have to purchase a new one for Jan 2016?

ICD new year begins on Oct1 of every year. So the 2016 book takes effect on Oct 1 2015. If you now have a 2014 ICD-10 CM you have the exact same code set as the 2015. They did update the guidelines for 2015 but you can get those off the website. The committee that determines code revisions meets twice a year. The April meeting determines code revisions for Oct 1. Those changes are made available mid to late June for Oct 1 implementation. The second meeting occurs in November to determine changes effective April 1. Since Oct 1, 2011 the code sets have been frozen with no changes to 9 or 10. The next planned update has been set to occur Oct1, 2015 and will be ICD-10 CM only.
Now, if for some reason the committee has decided to hold any revisions due to this being the implementation year, then the notice will be released in June and the 2014, 2015, 2016 books will all be identical with the exception of the coding guidelines. If the committee at anytime decides in November to make code revisions effective April 1, then a new mid year book would be necessary.
There will not be any revisions to ICD-9CM.. The last revised edition was the 2012.