Wiki ICD10 hard start

PLAIDMAN

Best answers
My manager is telling me that the ICD 10 will be a "hard start"

meaning on 10.01.2015 you begin using icd10 codes regardless of what dates of service you are billing.

I will still probs be billing august 2015 dates of service at the 10.01.15 date

Do you know if this is true ? where can I find some info on this ?

thx

No, the codes becaome effective on10/1/15 dischages. So, if you are still coding records prior to 10/1/15 you will still be required to report !CD-9.

What about the State of New York? I believe there is one state not using ICD10 for W/comp

What about the State of New York? I believe there is one state not using ICD10 for W/comp

yes.
my understanding is that whether workman's comp and auto carriers have to use ICD-10 after 10/1/15 will be determined by the individual states.

And, along the same line:
If one of my docs sees a patient in the hospital on 9/30 and on 10/1, do I have to separate that into 2 claims? ICD 9 codes on one and ICD 10 on the other? I haven't been able to find an answer on the CMS website.

yes, you would have to submit two separate claims since claims with a DOS of 10-1-15 and later will only be payable with icd 10 codes on it.

For outpatient, it is based on DOS 10/1/15. For inpatient, it is based on discharge date 10/1/15. Someone discharged on 10/1 with a 30 day LOS would have the entire stay coded with ICD-10.