Wiki IHC Stains with Mohs

Roholl

New
Best answers
A PATHOLOGY LAB PERFORMS THE TECHNICAL PORTION OF A DERMATOPATHS PATHOLOGY WHOM IS ALSO SEEING THE PATIENT. THE DERMATOLOGIST/DERMPATH PERFORMS A MOHS PROCEDURE AND SENDS THE SPECIMENS TO OUR PATHOLOGY LAB FOR PROCESSING. CAN THE LAB BILL FOR THE TECHNICAL PORTION OF PATHOLOGIC PROCEDURE 88305-TC? IF IHC STAINS ARE PERFORMED, CAN THE LAB BILL FOR THE TECHNICAL PORTION OF THOSE IHC (88342-TC)? THE DERMATOLOGIST/DERMPATH PERFORMS THE PROFESSIONAL PORTION FOR ALL HIS OWN PATHOLOGY AND BILLS THE 26.

Hello Roholl,
I will try to help you. Please do not post in all "caps" that is like yelling at someone. Sometimes, a phrase in capital letters is appropriate to drive the point, okay.
Let's move to issue at hand. Okay your dermatologist/dermpath performs a MOHS and sends the specimen to your lab for processing.

The dermatologist/dermpath has acquired a specimen and reviewed under microscope but still needs pathology department to determine if this lesion is truly deemed benign or malignant on their analysis. I'm a little unsure on the issue here. Once they have deemed the specimen necessary for pathology review, they send the specimen to your facility for review.
Once the facility (yours) receives the specimen you get to gross and microscopic it just like any other specimen you may have acquired.
Once that specimen is accessioned within your facility and anything your pathology department "deems is appropriate to properly diagnosis the medical condition" it is a professional/technical split. Be super cognizant. The dermatologist/dermpath that sent this is also using the same DOS for their "MOH" services as you are billing pathology charges. There may be potential bundling issues. No one discusses this caveat. I found this the hard way.
Hopefully I shed some light here,
Dana

Dana,
I'm so sorry about posting in all "caps". I didn't even realize what I had done until you brought it to my attention. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply and help me with this question.
Rose

Hi. I am a coder for a diagnostic lab. If the specimen was accessioned somewhere else and they send the specimen to your facility for further analysis then it becomes a consult and there are codes for that situation.