Wiki Incidental surgery findings

PLAIDMAN

Best answers
Can anyone please direct me on where I can find a definition on what exactly incidental findings during surgery would encompass and how,what,why something would be included as incidental.

Thanks
Dawn

Incidental findings are noteworthy occurances or conditions uncovered during the surgical encounter. Examples might include a patient who at the time of a hernia repair also has a spermatic cord lipoma. Sometimes these incidental findings require additional clinical attention and other times they may not require immediate attention.

Please note that under ICD-9 Section IV (Diagnostic Coding and Reporting Guidelines for Outpatient Services), item K, coders are instructed to code all documented conditions that coexist.

Hope this is of help to you.

I am having more of an issue with cpt. My doc did knee scope meniscectomy, chondroplasty, then says he "burred oteophyte off of tibia" I can't really find a code for any bony work, chondroplasty is cartilage, do I bill an unlisted? Should I bill at all? My doc will ask why he can't charge three grand for it???

Thanks
Dawn