• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Incision and Drainage - toe cellulitis

wickyq

Best answers
Had a provider report an incision and drainage of a toe cellulitis (abscess).
On reading the note, she had used a 25g needle to "incise" the abscess.
Based on the size of the needle, my go-to 'supercoder' provider agreed that this puncture isn't an incision. But she held that if a large gauge needle, say a 19 or 20 g was used and the abscess was drained, this would constitute an incision and drainage.
I think that based on the definition of 'incision' as a cut with a sharp surgical instrument, the puncture by the large gauge needle still would not be sufficient to code a 10060 for the incision and drainage. Which is right? Large gauge needle puncture to drain an abscess justifies an I & D code - yes or no

Mojo

Expert
Best answers
I agree with you. A cut or incision (not puncture) with a large bore needle (18, 19 or 20 gauge) would justify an I&D of an abscess. A puncture does not allow access for the insertion of a hemostat or culture tips, permit adequate drainage or irrigation.

DeeCPC

Guru
Best answers
You stated, "the definition of 'incision' as a cut with a sharp surgical instrument" the needle is being used as a sharp surgical instrument that is incising not puncturing the skin and it creates a defect that is large enough to allow for drainage.

We code the incision and drainage of an abcess with a large gauge needle as 10060.