Wiki Infusion with no documented stop time

phildebrand

Best answers
Can anybody point me to a reference for coding therapeutic infusions and/or hydration infusions and how to code these with no stop time documented?

If normal saline is ordered and then an antibiotic was also given at the same time, how should this be coded?

I can't seem to find anything definitive regarding whether these should actually be coded as a push or an infusion but I have to have some type of written reference.
I was taught that if no start/stop time was documented, it should be coded as a push. I have another coder telling me that I have it backwards but neither of us has any type of "proof". I've checked everywhere I can think of!

the push is accurate. Look under the medicare claims processing guidelines and do a search. We just went through this question and found the answer. I know its out there.

Try this website. I just found it online and it might be helpful (I hope):)

http://campus.ahima.org/audio/2008/RB013108.pdf

See page 12

It might be that you have to query the physician or nursing stafff for the stop time in order to code correctly. I have many times had to query for stop times for infusions and for conscious sedation (believe it or not).

Last edited: