Wiki Inhaler vs nebulizer

Best answers
I code for an after hours care facility and recently they have been documenting the use of a Albuterol Sulfate (Ventolin HFA) inhaler giving 2 inhalations at TOS. Can you actually charge for the inhaler if given in the clinic as well as patient taking remaining home with them? Chart notes include NDC# dosage and direction but I'm unclear as to if you are able to charge additionally. I have been unsuccessful in finding a CPT code an inhaler. Thank you

You would charge for the inhaler if sent with the patient and not a separate charge for the 2 doses taken in the office. Inhalers would be in HCPCS or on your facility's Master Charge List.
A nebulizer treatment is a gadget hooked up to O2 so the medication is aerasolized (sp?) and dispersed in droplet form.

Was it a free sample? We don't give patients things to take home unless they are free samples. If it's a free sample, you cannot charge.

Otherwise, I would think they would (okay, SHOULD, for reimbursement reasons not for medical reasons) be doing a nebulizer treatment and writing them a prescription for a inhaler to fill at the pharmacy.

94664 is a code you can bill for the demonstration and/or evaluation of patient utilization of aerosol generator, nebulizer, metered dose inhaler or IPPB device if you are giving the patient a sample of medication and showing them how to use it appropriately. Just make sure the provider documents.

Last edited: