Wiki Injections

LTibbetts

Best answers
I am going to be starting a new job soon and will be doing more of the facility side of the ERs along with the pro fees. I have done pro fees for the ER for over 5 years but have had limited exposure to facility side coding in the ER, other than basic charge entry. I could really use some help with this. My biggest challenge is the injection charging, infusions, Td's, etc. Does anyone have a sort of cheat sheet for any of these coding scenarios? I would really appreciate any help that I can get on this. My email is leslie.tibbetts@bhmh.org

Leslie,
First check with the facility to find out if these codes are being assigned through the chargemaster. Every facility I have ever worked in these codes come thru the chragemaster and are not coder assigned. The nurses enter charge code via a bar scanner most times or type it in when an injection or IV is administered, that charge code goes to the chargemaster and the CPT code is then assigned to that claim, also they have the modifiers then hard coded to go with these codes. It will just depend but this is traditionally how it is done in the facility.

Thanks for the reply, Deb. That is the way it is done here where I work now but I have no idea how it works in the new place. I just thought it might be good to be ready for anything and be prepared.

Does anyone have such a sheet that I could have a copy of?