Wiki Inpatient Coding - The patient is a 47 year

jticbs

Networker
Best answers
Hi again,

Here is the next case:

The patient is a 47 year old female brought to the Emergency room with difficulty breathing and hypoxia. The patient has a long history of smoking, approximately 1 pack a day for 32 years. She continues to smoke despite her history of asthma and the development of COPD. In the Emergency room the patient?s breathing worsened despite breathing treatments, and the use of Solumedrol and Atrovent. A chest X-ray showed only patchy left basilar airspace disease with some congestion, no pneumothorax. The patient was intubated and put on a Vent in the ER for impending respiratory failure and COPD exacerbation. She was sent to the ICU for continuing care. In the ICU the patient developed hypokalemia which required potassium repletion, and marked metabolic acidosis which prevented her from being weaned from the vent. By the fifth day in the ICU, the patient began showing marked improvement in her breathing and respiratory condition. She was able to be weaned from the vent and was transferred to the regular medical floor. The patient continued to improve and she was able to be discharged from the hospital two days later. The patient was advised to quit smoking.

Here is my answer:
Admitting DX: Hypoxia 799.02 POA Y
Principle DX: 518.81 POA Y
493.22 POA Y
276.8 POA N
276.2 POA N
305.1 POA Y
V46.11 POA N
Procedure: 93.90
I was about to use 96.72 but the report didn't mention invasive mechanical ventilation therefore I choose 93.90. Any suggestion of these codes and the POA indicators?