insect bites

JesseL

Expert
Best answers
Is there problems using these two codes together to report multiple insect bites as oppose to coding each and every bite individually?

T07.XXXA - Unspecified multiple injuries
with
W57.XXXA Bitten or stung by nonvenomous insect and other nonvenomous arthropods, initial encounter

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
You would use at least two codes with injuries , one for the actual injury and one for the external cause of the injury. However the injury code you have selected may not be the best one as it does not really provide any information as to the injury or the body area involved. if the documentation is specific then use the specific codes even if you need several due to multiple areas. Payers typically do not honor the unspecified codes.

Best answers
I've found that providers don't typically mention more than 2-3 locations (i.e. "excoriations on neck and both arms due to bug bites"). So then I would code (that example) as:

S10.96XA Insect bite (nonvenomous) of unspecified part of neck, initial encounter
S40.861A Insect bite (nonvenomous) of unspecified part of right upper arm, initial encounter (this is default if unspecified part of arm)
S40.862A Insect bite (nonvenomous) of unspecified part of left upper arm, initial encounter
W57.XXXA Bitten or stung by nonvenomous insect and other nonvenomous arthropods, initial encounter