Wiki Insurance is saying a more appropriate code should be used... Help! (please and thank you)

heatherposchman1

Networker
Best answers
dx:
1. Osteoarthritis, right foot
2. Hallux limitus, right foot
3. Exostosis, right hallux
4. Hallux valgus, right foot
5. Ulcer with fat layer exposed, right hallux
6. Hammer toe, 2nd digit right foot
7. Tendon contracture, right foot

Procedure:
1. Cheilectomy 1st metatarsal, right foot
2. Akin osteotomy, right hallux
3. Exostectomy, distal right hallux
4. Debridement to subcutaneous tissue, right hallux
5. Arthroplasty, right 2nd digit

I am including only the portion of the note that describes the procedure that is in question:

This procedure was coded 28299 (for the physician's services) and the insurance is saying a more appropriate code is needed, without giving any rationale. Side note, the facility coded this same procedure 28298, 28299. There was an addition procedure performed on the 2nd digit of the same foot but that code has not been called into question.

A linear incision was carried from the dorsomedial aspect of the distal shaft of the first metatarsal to
the distal aspect of the proximal phalanx of the hallux. Retraction was provided to neurovascular structures
followed by an incision through subcutaneous tissue, deep fascia, capsule and onto bone. All bleeders were
identified and coagulated with the bo vie. The periosteum was then reflected from bone. A medial L incision
was made through the capsule into the first metatarsophalangeal joint. The hallux was then distracted allowing
the joint to be visualized. The articulating surface of the first metatarsal head was noted to be denuded of
cartilage at the central aspect with hypertrophic bone dorsally and medially. Using a sagittal saw the medial
eminence was resected from the first metatarsal head along with the hypertrophic bone dorsally. Using a burr,
the bone was contoured along the dorsal and medial aspect of the first metatarsal head until smooth.
A wedge osteotomy was performed from medial to lateral at base of the right hallux leaving the cortex
intact to reduce the hallux valgus angle. A 09x10 mm Speed Implant was applied across the osteotomy with
closure of the wedge noted. Minimal gapping was noted to the wedge which was then filled with 0.3 cc of DBX
Putty. Alignment was tested with a more rectus aligned hallux noted.
Next, a stab incision was made to medial base of the distal phalanx of the right hallux. The boney
exostosis was identified and rasped to a smooth contour. The callus to the plantar medial distal right hallux
was debrided with an underlying ulcer noted measuring 0.6 x 0.5 cm with fibrotic and granular wound base. The
fibrotic tissue was debrided with an improved granular base noted.
Sites were irrigated with saline. A piece of the 2x3 cm Epicord was implanted into the first
metatarsophalangeal joint to reduce adhesions and provide growth factors to the first metatarsal head.
Redundant joint capsule was excised. Using 3-0 vicryl the capsule and subcutaneous tissue was closed followed
by epidermal-dermal junction closure with 3-0 nylon. The distal medial incision was closed with 3-0 nylon.

Suggestions?

dx:
1. Osteoarthritis, right foot
2. Hallux limitus, right foot
3. Exostosis, right hallux
4. Hallux valgus, right foot
5. Ulcer with fat layer exposed, right hallux
6. Hammer toe, 2nd digit right foot
7. Tendon contracture, right foot

Procedure:
1. Cheilectomy 1st metatarsal, right foot
2. Akin osteotomy, right hallux
3. Exostectomy, distal right hallux
4. Debridement to subcutaneous tissue, right hallux
5. Arthroplasty, right 2nd digit

I am including only the portion of the note that describes the procedure that is in question:

This procedure was coded 28299 (for the physician's services) and the insurance is saying a more appropriate code is needed, without giving any rationale. Side note, the facility coded this same procedure 28298, 28299. There was an addition procedure performed on the 2nd digit of the same foot but that code has not been called into question.

A linear incision was carried from the dorsomedial aspect of the distal shaft of the first metatarsal to
the distal aspect of the proximal phalanx of the hallux. Retraction was provided to neurovascular structures
followed by an incision through subcutaneous tissue, deep fascia, capsule and onto bone. All bleeders were
identified and coagulated with the bo vie. The periosteum was then reflected from bone. A medial L incision
was made through the capsule into the first metatarsophalangeal joint. The hallux was then distracted allowing
the joint to be visualized. The articulating surface of the first metatarsal head was noted to be denuded of
cartilage at the central aspect with hypertrophic bone dorsally and medially. Using a sagittal saw the medial
eminence was resected from the first metatarsal head along with the hypertrophic bone dorsally. Using a burr,
the bone was contoured along the dorsal and medial aspect of the first metatarsal head until smooth.
A wedge osteotomy was performed from medial to lateral at base of the right hallux leaving the cortex
intact to reduce the hallux valgus angle. A 09x10 mm Speed Implant was applied across the osteotomy with
closure of the wedge noted. Minimal gapping was noted to the wedge which was then filled with 0.3 cc of DBX
Putty. Alignment was tested with a more rectus aligned hallux noted.
Next, a stab incision was made to medial base of the distal phalanx of the right hallux. The boney
exostosis was identified and rasped to a smooth contour. The callus to the plantar medial distal right hallux
was debrided with an underlying ulcer noted measuring 0.6 x 0.5 cm with fibrotic and granular wound base. The
fibrotic tissue was debrided with an improved granular base noted.
Sites were irrigated with saline. A piece of the 2x3 cm Epicord was implanted into the first
metatarsophalangeal joint to reduce adhesions and provide growth factors to the first metatarsal head.
Redundant joint capsule was excised. Using 3-0 vicryl the capsule and subcutaneous tissue was closed followed
by epidermal-dermal junction closure with 3-0 nylon. The distal medial incision was closed with 3-0 nylon.

Suggestions?
Has someone at the insurance company read the op note?

Hi
Did you link the CPT code with the correct dx in the line up? I d not link it with Osteoarthritis as first dx to CPT 28298. The other dx codes seem more appropriate to CPT 28298.
Lady T

Where is the 28299? Unless there is more in the op note not copied above, I don't see 28299. Unless the medial eminence resection is being counted as osteotomy, but it's not. I think they are looking for 28298. There's a CPT Assistant Dec. 2016 with really good pictures and info on these codes, specifically the 28299. I am guessing they will bundle the 28289 w/ 28298 unless they follow different edits (McKesson?) and there's a crazy difference (doubtful). There's a mutually exclusive NCCI edit between 28289 & 28298. I don't think the facility was correct either. I would suggest reading all the CPT Assistant articles on this code range. The AAOS Complete Global Service Data for Orthopedics is necessary for foot & ankle coding.

Here's the cheilectomy (28289): " Using a sagittal saw the medial eminence was resected from the first metatarsal head along with the hypertrophic bone dorsally. Using a burr, the bone was contoured along the dorsal and medial aspect of the first metatarsal head until smooth."

Here's one osteotomy (28298 Akin): "A wedge osteotomy was performed from medial to lateral at base of the right hallux leaving the cortex intact to reduce the hallux valgus angle. A 09x10 mm Speed Implant was applied across the osteotomy with closure of the wedge noted."

This is not an osteotomy either: "The boney exostosis was identified and rasped to a smooth contour."

28298 and 28289
NCCI Manual MSK: 14. CPT codes 28288, 28306, 28307, 28310, and 28315 shall not be reported with bunionectomy CPT codes 28291-28299 for procedures performed on the ipsilateral first toe or metatarsal. CPT codes 28306, 28307, and 28310 (Osteotomy procedures) shall not be reported with a bunionectomy code because there are bunionectomy codes that include osteotomy of the first metatarsal or proximal phalanx of the first toe. CPT code 28288 (Ostectomy ...) shall not bereported with a bunionectomy code because it is a misuse of this code to report ostectomy of the median eminence of the metatarsal bone which is integral to the bunionectomy procedure. Additionally, some bunionectomy procedures include excision of the head of the first metatarsal. CPT code 28315 (Sesamoidectomy, first toe (separate procedure) includes the “separate procedure” designation in its code descriptor. CMS payment policy does not allow separate payment for a procedure designated as a “separate procedure” when performed along with another procedure in the same anatomic area.

Generally, we wouldn't use T modifiers for hallux valgus/bunion we would use RT/LT. I know it's crazy but I have seen it cause issues. However, they might have a policy that says they want the T mods for bunions.

Where is the 28299? Unless there is more in the op note not copied above, I don't see 28299. Unless the medial eminence resection is being counted as osteotomy, but it's not. I think they are looking for 28298. There's a CPT Assistant Dec. 2016 with really good pictures and info on these codes, specifically the 28299. I am guessing they will bundle the 28289 w/ 28298 unless they follow different edits (McKesson?) and there's a crazy difference (doubtful). There's a mutually exclusive NCCI edit between 28289 & 28298. I don't think the facility was correct either. I would suggest reading all the CPT Assistant articles on this code range. The AAOS Complete Global Service Data for Orthopedics is necessary for foot & ankle coding.

Here's the cheilectomy (28289): " Using a sagittal saw the medial eminence was resected from the first metatarsal head along with the hypertrophic bone dorsally. Using a burr, the bone was contoured along the dorsal and medial aspect of the first metatarsal head until smooth."

Here's one osteotomy (28298 Akin): "A wedge osteotomy was performed from medial to lateral at base of the right hallux leaving the cortex intact to reduce the hallux valgus angle. A 09x10 mm Speed Implant was applied across the osteotomy with closure of the wedge noted."

This is not an osteotomy either: "The boney exostosis was identified and rasped to a smooth contour."

28298 and 28289
NCCI Manual MSK: 14. CPT codes 28288, 28306, 28307, 28310, and 28315 shall not be reported with bunionectomy CPT codes 28291-28299 for procedures performed on the ipsilateral first toe or metatarsal. CPT codes 28306, 28307, and 28310 (Osteotomy procedures) shall not be reported with a bunionectomy code because there are bunionectomy codes that include osteotomy of the first metatarsal or proximal phalanx of the first toe. CPT code 28288 (Ostectomy ...) shall not bereported with a bunionectomy code because it is a misuse of this code to report ostectomy of the median eminence of the metatarsal bone which is integral to the bunionectomy procedure. Additionally, some bunionectomy procedures include excision of the head of the first metatarsal. CPT code 28315 (Sesamoidectomy, first toe (separate procedure) includes the “separate procedure” designation in its code descriptor. CMS payment policy does not allow separate payment for a procedure designated as a “separate procedure” when performed along with another procedure in the same anatomic area.

Generally, we wouldn't use T modifiers for hallux valgus/bunion we would use RT/LT. I know it's crazy but I have seen it cause issues. However, they might have a policy that says they want the T mods for bunions.
Thank you VERY much for taking the time to respond and to explain it so clearly!