Wiki Intent of Regulations

Cothran

Contributor
Best answers
1. For X-ray professional services or global: X-rays performed in the clinic with the clinic's equipment, personnel- the physician reads, interprets the note and documents findings in the office visit, can you bill based on the office note documentation or do you need an additional signed note separate from the office visit.

2. If a separate note is needed, would a letter from my organization's Counsel and Compliance Officer, signed off by the CEO, stating intent of the regulations had been satisfied be acceptable for a coder to bill for such services prior to this revelation? Would it release a coder from the employed organization from any liablility?

Hi there, I'm not quite sure what you're asking in the first question and I think part of it depends on whether the X-Ray is being counted toward the office visit or billed separately.

For the second question, if you're asking if a signed document by another person protect a coder from legal consequences? No. While coders are rarely held legally liable, there's no way an employer can guarantee that it won't happen. But if you're asking can the employer agree not to punish coders who make mistakes or provide legal help in the event of an investigation? Sure.

Hi there, I'm not quite sure what you're asking in the first question and I think part of it depends on whether the X-Ray is being counted toward the office visit or billed separately.

For the second question, if you're asking if a signed document by another person protect a coder from legal consequences? No. While coders are rarely held legally liable, there's no way an employer can guarantee that it won't happen. But if you're asking can the employer agree not to punish coders who make mistakes or provide legal help in the event of an investigation? Sure.
Yes, thank you very much for your response.