Wiki Irrigation of incisional ulcer , foot

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
I need help with the above CPT. I've included the op report. Patient is in a post-surgical global period. According to the op report, no infection or necrosis noted. The site was irrigated and then closed. 10180 is for post-op wound infection and 12020 is for wound dehiscence. Can anyone help? Thank you,

Attachments

• I&D FOOT.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 18
I need help with the above CPT. I've included the op report. Patient is in a post-surgical global period. According to the op report, no infection or necrosis noted. The site was irrigated and then closed. 10180 is for post-op wound infection and 12020 is for wound dehiscence. Can anyone help? Thank you,
ANYONE?

I have in my notes to "Use 11042-11047 when the only procedure performed is wound debridement. If a wound is debrided and closed, use the repair codes. Use these codes for foot ulcers and vascular ulcers."
Unfortunately, I didn't save a link to where I got that information! :)

11042 is not the correct code for this surgical procedure. Excisional debridement was not performed or at least documented. There is a lot work that was done that 11042 does not cover.
I ended up going with CPT 28002 as did the hospital. This was a very difficult one to determine but felt it was the closest code. Thanks for your input.

I ended up going with CPT 28002 as did the hospital. This was a very difficult one to determine but felt it was the closest code. Thanks for your input.
That's the incorrect code for what was done. Code 28002 is "below fascia". According to the op note, dissection was carried down "to" the subcutaneous tissue. You can easily rule out 28002 due to tissue depth, at as is currently documented.

Last edited:
11042 is not the correct code for this surgical procedure. Excisional debridement was not performed or at least documented. There is a lot work that was done that 11042 does not cover.
I understand what you mean but respectfully, 11042 is not an excisional debridement, that's 11010-11012. At the beginning of the debridement section of the CPT book, it states that codes 11042-11047 are for wound debridements and can be reported for injuries, infections, wounds, and chronic ulcers. I agree that 11042 may not cover the "ellipsing the 4 to 5 mm ulcer" line in the op note, but to me it is the most appropriate code for the foot ulcer I&D otherwise. What do you think the correct code should be instead? I could very well be wrong and I'd love to learn and grow for the future.