Wiki Is medical scribing sufficient experience?

daisypaisy

Best answers
I haven't gotten a good answer for this question up to now. I have currently been a medical scribe for about six months and I am trying to figure out if this is actually considered useful experience in relation to getting first job after CPC. I have also been a patient care tech and a CNA, but I don't think either of those things would matter. I would love to know if I should try switching to a different medical office job now, since I have just started my CPC course. I have heard I may need to be at a job for a while before being hired as a coder, so I would like to have any time advantage I can.

Thank you!

There are many CPC-A's out there that have no medical background at all, and then wonder why employers don't hire them right away. When helping them we coach them to "get a foot in the door" job. You already have that. I'm not saying not to get other employment if it pays more and fits you better, but you are already in. With this background you are learning medical terminology, and how how conditions are treated. I think this is good experience for you.

Thank you for taking time to reply! I guess I am just wondering: is this the job that will actually get me hired? I am doing scribing online and it's not exactly a company in which you can move up. They start with coder III on their job boards and management isn't interconnected. Will a company hiring coders look at a year or two of this experience + CPC and say that it's enough?

Thank you for taking time to reply! I guess I am just wondering: is this the job that will actually get me hired? I am doing scribing online and it's not exactly a company in which you can move up. They start with coder III on their job boards and management isn't interconnected. Will a company hiring coders look at a year or two of this experience + CPC and say that it's enough?
OK, so that's hard to say either "yes" or "no" to. To me it sounds like your a transcriptionist and not a scribe. Either way though you have a huge "leg-up" to many other candidates. Many recently credentialed CPC's have no medical background of any kind. Knowing this I would advise you to stay where you are at for now and apply for jobs in clinics. As you do let them know you are working on your CPC, that will also set you apart from those who are just "looking for a job, any job". Once your in a clinic or other places where coding is done, you can prove yourself and eventually become a coder. But keep in mind that there are several jobs where your CPC is helpful, if not required, even though you may not be coding specifically. Don't think your education will go to waste, there are too many jobs out there where you will be able to use it.

Yes I'm am currently a virtual medical scribe; doing doc's notes.

So you're saying don't leave this position yet, but once I am able to find a medical office job then I should leave? For the hope of promotion in office?

Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake. 😆

Yes I'm am currently a virtual medical scribe; doing doc's notes.

So you're saying don't leave this position yet, but once I am able to find a medical office job then I should leave? For the hope of promotion in office?

Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake. 😆
No don't leave your current position until you can get a position in an actual office where you can be promoted. Apply for any job that will get you in the door and your current position will help with that.