Is there a limit on postpartum visits?

Kirstyn20

Networker
Best answers
I have a pt who we were doing full ob care for. She ended up with an emergency c section out of state. She came to us shortly after returning home and we checked her incision and did a quick exam. She was told to come back in 5 weeks for her normal 6 week check up. How do I bill the two visits? Since the first visit was technically not her normal postpartum visit, how should that one be billed? Thanks!

Best answers
I've had the same situation in the past. I've billed out an office visit for the initial check after delivery and then I bill out the postpartum care. Depending on the payer's policy and how the delivering dr billed their charges would determine the route in which you can code/bill. And as far as I know there is not limit on the # of postpartum visits per cpt guidelines, but I do not believe that insurance companies will pay for more than just one of the 59430. Hope that helped.

aharapat913

Contributor
Best answers
We also bill the 59430 if we did not deliver the baby, but we do not add an office visit. I also do not think there is a limit on the # of postpartum visits, as long as the visits are related to her pregnancy. We have a dummy code of PP (postpartum) with a zero charge.

Kirstyn20

Networker
Best answers
Thanks ladies! I was thinking of an e/m for the initial incision check visit and the 59430 for the actual postpartum visit.

gena379

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
incision check is part of postpartum. if you are going to bill 59430 that implies that you did all of her post partum care- including the incision check. You should not bill the e/m.