Wiki Ischemic "insult"

solocoder

Expert
Best answers
Can someone clarify for me if ischemic "insult" is the the same as "infarct"? I'm suddenly seeing that term used and I have not been able to find any reference that defines it.

Thanks.

It does not mean the same thing to me - per my understanding, infarction is a complete interruption in blood supply whereas I would ischemic insult as injury due to inadequate circulation. But providers do not always use terms in the same way, so you may need to query your providers for clarification.

Ischemic insult

Hi,

I always look at ischemic insult documented by the provider as “Excuse me gotta butt in here and cause some mayhem”.

Ischemic insult is causal to ischemic injury. Reduced ischemic occurrence can produce adrenal insufficiency which leads to vascular and inotrope tone resistance leading to ischemic injury resulting in abnormality and normal function.

In cardiovascular events, the insult produces myocardial ischemia, causing contractilities to cardiac output leading to ischemic injury which causes abnormal outcomes such as aphasia.

Rhabdomyolysis is a non-traumatic ischemic insult that can be brought on by drugs, alcohol, excessive training/exercising, toxins, infections, and electrolyte disorders.

It is imperative the patient receive therapeutic treatment early on usually within 6 hours of insult to prevent/delay cell death.

Keep in mind, there are other insults, like traumatic insults, cerebral small vessels disease, circulatory collapse in heart failure, occlusions, and TBIs are a few of the ischemic insults that lead to necrosis, apoptosis, or functional metabolic impairments and degeneration like Dementia in the long term.

Why do I know this much? I had a similar quest for knowledge when coding babies. The provider used the term, “perinatal insult” and then documented hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy in a newborn delivered the day before.

Hope this helps!

Hi Thomas, good to see you here today, thanks for your input!

Last edited: