Wiki IUD billing

Best answers
I am not that familiar with billing for IUD's and we have some that are being billed with ML. Shouldn't these be billed as unit and not ML? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!!

I am not that familiar with billing for IUD's and we have some that are being billed with ML. Shouldn't these be billed as unit and not ML? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!!

ML as in milliliters?

I am not an OB/GYN coder, but I'd agree with you that ML doesn't seem accurate for an IUD.

For the 3 J codes for Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine contraceptive systems there is a drug dosage listed in the code description since the IUDs they contain the hormone Levonorgestrel. However, the dosage is listed in milligrams(mg) in the code descriptions. The codes are J7296, J7297 & J7298.
  • J7296 - Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine contraceptive system (Kyleena), 19.5 mg, and has an effective lifespan of 5 years
  • J7297 - Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine contraceptive system (Liletta), 52 mg, and has an effective lifespan of between 3 and 5 years
  • J7298 - Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine contraceptive system (Mirena), 52 mg, and has an effective lifespan of between 3 and 5 years
The unit/quantity billed on the claim form should still be 1 but I just wanted to clarify that it is valid for there to be a drug dosage associated with a levonorgestrel releasing IUD.

I add the NDC# w/quanity (1) and unit of measure (each). I also think it depends on your EMR system and what it needs to pass through your systems billing scrub to get out the door.