Wiki IVP w/ Hydration

MCotton83

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
:confused: We were having a discussion in my office in regards to Hydration, in the process of the infusion the Dr. gave an IVP. Would the push of a med (IVP) cancel the charging for the Normal Saline? My thoughts would be to cancel the 96360 and only charge the 96374 with the med administered, is my thinking off???

Per the CPT "When the fluids are used to administer the drug(s), the administration of the fluid is considered incidental hydration and is not separately reportable."

Thank you,
Melissa :)

When I used to bill for the facility, unless the hydration was specicially written for hydration then it is considered incidental to the IVP and the IVP would then cancel out the hydration.

ER Hydration and drugs

Is the same true in the emergency room? The patient has a couple hours of hydration and then a couple of drugs are pushed for gastritis, nausea etc. a few minutes into the hydration start. Also what happens when a drug is IV pushed piggyback. We have some debate going on here regarding this issue and how to code the infusion time. Would it then become a therapeutic infusion? Thanks.....

It depends on the purpose of the hydration. Is the purpose to transport the drugs? Hydration from my understanding can only be used alone, and if it's over 30 minutes of hydration infusion. 90761 cannot be reported as a subsequent service to intial service codes 90765, 90774, 96409, 96413 when these are administered through the SAME IV site.

AMA states that in order to report 90761 as a secondary or subsequent service, the nursing or other clinical staff must provde documentation showing more then 30 minutes of hydration on the patient record.

The rule remains the same in th ER as it would on the medical floor or ASU or other facility.