Wiki J1010 replacing J1030, J1040 Depomedrol

SueCode3988

Contributor
Best answers
I am looking for help with billing J1010. Would I bill 40 units for Depomedrol 40mg and same with 80mg would I bill 80 units? I see the description is for 1mg. The way I have it right now is 1 unit but 40ML by the NDC on the claim form. If I could get any help with this that would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I am looking for help with billing J1010. Would I bill 40 units for Depomedrol 40mg and same with 80mg would I bill 80 units? I see the description is for 1mg. The way I have it right now is 1 unit but 40ML by the NDC on the claim form. If I could get any help with this that would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Correct - you just have to do the math. How many total mg were given, and how many 1 mg units would that be.

Is this change for all insurances or just Medicare? We have not had any rejections or denials from any insurance at this time and we send claims out every day. Also, does the NDC # change depending on the supplier? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am also looking for NDC information on J1010. We have NDC numbers for the 40mg vials and 80mg vials, but nothing for 1mg. Do we just use the NDC for one of the others? I haven't found anything in my search yet.

Our Medicare Palmetto GBA has excluded J1010 for reimbursement (J1010 Procedure Status = E; there are no RVUs, payment policy indicators do not apply). Could we substitute J1010 for procedure J3490 for reimbursement?

I am also looking for NDC information on J1010. We have NDC numbers for the 40mg vials and 80mg vials, but nothing for 1mg. Do we just use the NDC for one of the others? I haven't found anything in my search yet.
I think you may be looking at this in the wrong way. The vial sizes/ NDC numbers stayed the same. It’s just the J code that changed. So if it was a 40 mg vial, it still is, but the billing units have changed. I hope that helps!

I think you may be looking at this in the wrong way. The vial sizes/ NDC numbers stayed the same. It’s just the J code that changed. So if it was a 40 mg vial, it still is, but the billing units have changed. I hope that helps!
According to a crosswalk I located, there are literally like 20 NDC codes listed. I also compared the new vials to the old ones and the NDC codes are definitely different. Both codes are now converting to the one J1010 but J1030 and J1040 had different NDC codes so this is very confusing to me as well. In addition, is this going to affect billing wastage. In a Medicare previous example when the JZ modifier was introduced, it indicated that J1030 would not have wastage because they are intended for a one time use vial. I do have that in writing from CMS website. So now with this new code, is there going to be wastage to be considered if we only use 30 mg of a 40 mg vial. I am assuming not because it is still considered to be a single use vial. This is all too confusing. I have received denials this week from literally every payer for the new code that I had no idea was coming

According to a crosswalk I located, there are literally like 20 NDC codes listed. I also compared the new vials to the old ones and the NDC codes are definitely different. Both codes are now converting to the one J1010 but J1030 and J1040 had different NDC codes so this is very confusing to me as well. In addition, is this going to affect billing wastage. In a Medicare previous example when the JZ modifier was introduced, it indicated that J1030 would not have wastage because they are intended for a one time use vial. I do have that in writing from CMS website. So now with this new code, is there going to be wastage to be considered if we only use 30 mg of a 40 mg vial. I am assuming not because it is still considered to be a single use vial. This is all too confusing. I have received denials this week from literally every payer for the new code that I had no idea was coming
What NDC are you looking for? So I can review on the crosswalk?

What NDC are you looking for? So I can review on the crosswalk?
I don't remember what website I found it on but I found a crosswalk that shows multiple NDC codes for J1010 (the now new code for J1030 and J1040). If you just google the NDC, they are different for the different manufacturers of the same drug. I had to get our software company to help me yesterday to set up codes and they did confirm there are multiple NDC codes depending on based on the manufacturer. Again, sorry but I don't remember how or where I located this; I believe it was thru Palmetto GBA, but buyandbill.com also has a list of the NDC codes for J1010 and there are several

I don't remember what website I found it on but I found a crosswalk that shows multiple NDC codes for J1010 (the now new code for J1030 and J1040). If you just google the NDC, they are different for the different manufacturers of the same drug. I had to get our software company to help me yesterday to set up codes and they did confirm there are multiple NDC codes depending on based on the manufacturer. Again, sorry but I don't remember how or where I located this; I believe it was thru Palmetto GBA, but buyandbill.com also has a list of the NDC codes for J1010 and there are several
Sounds like this is something internal you need to figure out. Each manufacturer does have different NDC numbers but I really doubt you are buying multiple different vials from several manufacturers. You can’t determine correct billing without verifying what your stock of drugs are, and what the NDC number is on the vial. Without verifying that, guidance can’t be given.