Wiki Janet

hawkinsj

Best answers
Is there anything in CMS, AMA, Highmark, any source that speaks to an inpatient status being changed from inpatient to observation during the hospital stay. We are a Hospitalist group and see only patients in house.

I am very familiar with the reverse, observation to inpatient and that is noted in CMS. HOWEVER I cannot find anything written on the reverse.

Is it logical to say Case Management is most likely changing status mid stream? My billing service says it is the payer but that is impossible for them to get a claim, chart notes etc. while patient is still on service.

Is there anything in CMS, AMA, Highmark, any source that speaks to an inpatient status being changed from inpatient to observation during the hospital stay. We are a Hospitalist group and see only patients in house.

I am very familiar with the reverse, observation to inpatient and that is noted in CMS. HOWEVER I cannot find anything written on the reverse.

Is it logical to say Case Management is most likely changing status mid stream? My billing service says it is the payer but that is impossible for them to get a claim, chart notes etc. while patient is still on service.

This may be of help...

https://www.cms.gov/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/SE0622.pdf