Wiki Kenalog injection in the ear canal

AN2114

Guru
Best answers
I need some advice about how to code a kenalog injection in the ear canal. The only kenalog injection code I have is the 11900 but that is for lesions. The only thing I'm finding online is to use code 69801 but I don't know if that code is actually appropriate with the procedure that was done. The patient previously had a reconstruction of the auditory canal and this procedure was for removing packing from the auditory canal and steroid injection. Is there a cpt code for either the kenalog injection in the ear canal or removal of packing from the ear canal? Below is the op report.

The patient was brought back to the operating room under the care of the anesthesia team. The patient was placed under general anesthesia and intubated. The bed was then turned 180 degrees. The patient was prepped and draped in a normal sterile fashion. The operating microscope was brought in the left ear was evaluated. There were noted to be 4 Schindler packs in the EAC which were grasped with an alligator and removed. There was noted to be an area inferior of healing granulation tissue. The ear canal was then irrigated and noted to be largely patent with the tympanic membrane identified and found to be without abnormality. A small area of granulation tissue was cauterized inferiorly with silver nitrate. The ear canal was then injected with kenalog. The EAC was then filled with dexamethasone ointment and a cotton ball was placed. This completed the procedure. The patient was returned to the care of the anesthesia team. The patient was extubated and sent to PACU in stable condition.

I think that this is an unlisted external ear procedure since it was the ear canal that was injected. You may want to equate it to 69801 in box 19 for pricing. Check with your surgeon, it may be a %, less than 100% of 69801 since the injection is in the ear canal.