Kicked a dog

Best answers
I have an ED patient who presents with foot pain after kicking a dog.

I have looked at many E codes and I can't find any that I really like.

E917 series I don't think works out.
E019 series I don't think works out because this wasn't animal care. - maybe E019.9 but to me that reads animal care - I don't think this qualifies as animal care.

Would you use E029.9?

E958.8 - I like this one, but the dictation does not say accident or the patient was mad and kicked the dog to make this self inflicted.

Any thoughts?
Thank you

jimbo1231

Expert
Best answers
Kicked a dog?

I'm not certain about this one, but the person is lucky they got away with 729.5, probably deserved an E906.0. It looks like abuse, but the E Codes seem to assume it is all people abuse. I think E917.9 might be closest since it includes kicking against but that is for an accidental kick. E960.0 is the basic assault code, and doesn't specify the assault is against a person. To me it's closest to the abuse codes, but I don't see one for animal abuse. Probably should be animal abuse codes, but usually the animal is injured not this genius.

Jim

Mojo

Expert
Best answers
If the documentation doesn't state accidental or self-inflicted, how about E988.8?

Best answers
Thank you both for your answers. I think I will go with E988.8. I'm still not sure on E917.9, but I wasn't sure on that one before. I may be reading way to much into it, but I am very curious about the definition of "object." Dog, clearly not a person, but can it be an object? Not sure.

So I think I will go with E988.8. Thank you both very much!!

Christopher

Best answers
Is it stated as just foot pain? If so then an E code will not be needed. For an injury I would code : E988.8. E906.8 reads injury by animal. The dog didn't cause their injury.. it's more self inflicted, but I dont like the way these codes read either.

Last edited: