Wiki Laminectomies for Non-Neoplasms

lpadgett

Best answers
I have two Neurosurgeons that say they should be able to code every level they cross for the laminectomy if they have an epidural hematoma that covers the Cervical spine and a few levels of Thoracic spine. They was t code a cervical code for extradural epidural hematoma 63265 and thoracic 63266 at the same time. Is this correct coding??

Also, they want to use the same logic for Laminiectomy for spinal tumors. If they have a one tumor that covers cervical intradural, extramedullary 63280 and a thoracic intradural extramedullary 63281 they want to use both codes. I say per the AANS people at their courses that we are only supposed to use one code no matter how many levels or size the tumor is. I cannot find any CCI edits that say this, and that is what they are wanting for me to be able to change their minds on how to code these tumors

Can you help me with these two cases? Thank you!

This is going to be based on documentation. if these are separate tumors/hematomas then yes you can bill both. If this is one tumor/hematoma and it is just spanning levels then NO! you cannot bill both codes for 1 tumor/hematoma. You can refer to AANS.... hope this helps.