Wiki Lateral release & medial patellofemoral ligament repair

kwinters

Contributor
Best answers
My provider has performed a lateral release with a patellofemoral ligament repair. I've never coded one of these before, but I'm leaning towards CPT 27425 for the lateral release, but I'm not sure what to use for the patellofemoral ligament repair. Any suggestions? I've attached the report for review.

TIA :cool:

Attachments

• OP REPORT.pdf
    669.5 KB · Views: 2
Hello

If there is significant damage to the patella, such as an osteochondral fracture, or severe cartilage breakdown associated with a patellar dislocation, a partial or total patellectomy may need to be performed with this procedure. A medial longitudinal patellar incision is made to expose the patella and medial retinaculum. If the patella is still dislocated, it is reduced at this time. If significant damage has occurred to the patella as noted above, the physician may remove a portion or all of it. This is done by incising the tendon that encases the patella and using a saw and osteotome to resect the damaged portion of the patella. The tendon sheath is closed with sutures. To repair the patellar dislocation, the physician places the sutures in the medial retinaculum to tighten it down, which in turn keeps the patella or the tendon sheath from moving out from the trochlear groove. The incision is closed with sutures, staples, and/or Steri-strips.
This is an open treatment of dislocation of knee 27566. A mod will be needed on the 27425 as this is an edit 40 with 27566.

Hello

If there is significant damage to the patella, such as an osteochondral fracture, or severe cartilage breakdown associated with a patellar dislocation, a partial or total patellectomy may need to be performed with this procedure. A medial longitudinal patellar incision is made to expose the patella and medial retinaculum. If the patella is still dislocated, it is reduced at this time. If significant damage has occurred to the patella as noted above, the physician may remove a portion or all of it. This is done by incising the tendon that encases the patella and using a saw and osteotome to resect the damaged portion of the patella. The tendon sheath is closed with sutures. To repair the patellar dislocation, the physician places the sutures in the medial retinaculum to tighten it down, which in turn keeps the patella or the tendon sheath from moving out from the trochlear groove. The incision is closed with sutures, staples, and/or Steri-strips.
This is an open treatment of dislocation of knee 27566. A mod will be needed on the 27425 as this is an edit 40 with 27566.
Great thanks...I will use 27566 in addition to the lateral release.