Wiki leadless pacemaker removal, Open

kessel

Contributor
Best answers
Hi and thanks in advance.
I have a doctor who removed the leadless pacemaker when he was replacing the aortic and mitral valve. This has been done as an open procedure see the following sentence. I am at a loss and thinking about doing an unlisted procedure.
"The pulmonary artery catheter was removed from the right ventricle and the leadless pacer in the RV was grasped and gently with traction pulled out of the RV. The catheter was then replaced."

Why was the leadless pacemaker removed, was the removal just an incidental procedure performed as part of the catheter removal and replacement? Why wasn't the pacemaker reimplanted after the valves were replaced? Was it medically necessary to remove the pacemaker that is documented elsewhere in the documentation that you didn't include in your initial post?

If it wasn't medically necessary to remove the pacemaker and it was only done to facilitate the valve replacements, I'm having a hard time seeing that the removal is a separately billable procedure. I may be incorrect in thinking this so if someone else has information about why this service should be covered/billable please don't hesitate to correct me and my opinion on this subject. I'm always looking to learn and would appreciate any response that educates me on why my thoughts on this matter are incorrect.