• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

lesion excision, lesion not found

FLSJarrel

Networker
Best answers
I have an op report that I am having dificulty is coding. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be extremely greatful. I could not identify any code for exploration of chest wall that would apply. Would it be appropriate to use (once I querry MD for size of his incision) the appropriate lesion excision code with modifer -53, and then add the appropriate intermediate closure code? Below is the op report.

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: RIGHT LATERAL CHEST WALL LESION.
POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: NO LESION IDENTIFIED.
PROCEDURE: Exploration, right lateral chest wall.
OPERATIVE TECHNIQUE: The patient was wheeled into the operating room, identified, and laid in the left lateral position on a beanbag. He was given intravenous sedation. The right lateral chest wall area was prepped and draped in the standard sterile fashion.

The lung was palpable over the rib. I infiltrated the area with 0.25% Marcaine, 1% lidocaine, and made an incision, dissecting down to the level of the subcutaneous tissue. I could not identify a lump. I then dissected farther down into the muscle. I dissected within the layers of the muscle, but did not identify the lump. Further dissection would mean entering down toward the parietal pleura. I decided to stop the procedure at this time.

Continued dissection on the same plane did not identify the lump.

I then confirmed hemostasis, closed the subcutaneous tissue with 3-0 Vicryl sutures, and closed the skin with 4-0 Vicryl subcuticular stitches. The wounds were cleaned and dressings applied. The patient tolerated the procedure. He left the operating room in stable condition.