Wiki Looking for Jobs...

Best answers
I've recently passed my CPC exam in July but have had zero luck in the job hunt. I've probably applied for around 25-30 jobs from either the AAPC website, indeed, or just family sending me links with no success so far. Not even a single call back. So, I was wondering if there was someone, I should contact from the AAPC? If anyone on here knows of a company hiring for a remote position with very little experience? All the jobs I have applied for so far are asking for 2 or more years of experience and I just don't have that yet, but I can't find anything or a company that is hiring CPC-A's at the moment. So just wondering if anyone knew what I could do or what direction to point me in! Thanks!

Hello,
I would recommend finding a job in medical billing first and building up your experience. I obtained my certification in July of 2022 and while I've gotten interviews for a medical coding position, I have yet to be hired. I've rarely heard of CPC-A's being hired for a coding position right after getting certified unless they already had some experience in the medical field. If you do, you may be able to get the apprentice status taken off sooner than 2 years time. In my opinion when companies see CPC-A on one resume vs CPC on another they're going to be inclined to hire the person with the CPC because that right there tells them that they're the person who has more experience. I think the best route for you to take right now would be to find a billing position with a company who hires coders as well, and try to get promoted for a coding position within the company. Hope this helps!

Good advice above from@celip. If you do a forum search, you will find several questions like what you posted with advice.
I'll just note - when I post a remote position, I may have 150 candidates within 2 days. Treat your job search like a job. Expect to spend some time applying. While some will suggest applying to everything, my personal advice is to post only for jobs where you meet or are close to meeting requirements. If the posting states must have 2 years of employment, I would skip it. If it said 2 years preferred, then go ahead and apply. But don't expect to be contacted for many interviews especially if you don't meet all of the "preferred"s. I recommend for CPCs without any healthcare experience to try for billing, registration, customer service, even front desk. Have resumes tailored for each of the types of positions you are applying. Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice @celip and @csperoni! I've been having the same issue, with not being able to find a job. I passed my exam in Dec of 2022 (almost a year ago 😞), and still haven't found a job. I've applied for at least 100 positions and nothing. It's frustrating, however I don't want to feel like I wasted time and money, so I've been trying to stay persistent. I'm glad I read these posts, so I will change of my stategy of what to apply for. Blessing on your journey as well @alvinbailey!