Wiki LPN to CPC how to transition?

Best answers
Hello! I am currently a LPN with 12 plus years of experience in inpatient and outpatient care. My current role does factor in some coding, but is not a primary duty and my experience (in my opinion) is somewhat still limited. I completed the CPC course and passed the exam in December of 2022. I am finding it hard to transition from nurse brain to coder brain and all that comes with a transition in my career. My ultimate goal is to go on and become a CDIS nurse but I really do value and want a strong coding background before making the leap. I would really appreciate any insight and recommendations on how to adjust my resume because I do feel that is a large reason on why I am not getting any call back on jobs I've applied to. Also, if anyone has any experience, stories, or suggestions on how to transition from nurse to coder that would be great. I am becoming a little discouraged, and I know it hasn't been that long but any help on becoming successful would be great. Any specific job titles that would be most relevant would also be appreciated as I think that is part of my problem as well. Thank you!!

I became an LGPN back in late 80's. Worked clinical till 1995. Took a job coding that taught nurses to code. Coded ER up to 2004. Learned HCC coding. Took CPC exam 2011. Been working for UHG since 2015. My resume always included my nursing degree. Its highly relevant. Most coders have zero medical background and can hinder transition to coding!! But its so doable. I do wish I completed my RN degree, way more opportunities and money. Good luck!