Wiki LTC Recovered Covid19, in observation

Best answers
I have a resident that tested positive for Covid19 in April, received TWO negative tests in June. However, the resident is returning to the facility from the hospital and is going to be put in observation/isolation. Would Z03.818 be an appropriate code to use to capture this scenario?

This is from the ICD 10 CM:

This code is likely not appropriate for your case because, as indicated in the ICD-10 note, code Z03.818 is for a patient without a diagnosis, but who requires an encounter for medical services due to a suspected condition which has subsequently been ruled out.

It's hard to advise you on this without seeing the records, but in this situation, your patient has an actual history of COVID-19 - it is not a case of it having been ruled out - so an aftercare code (e.g. Z09 or Z51.89) with the history code Z86.19 may be more appropriate if the disease has resolved but the patient is receiving follow-up care due this history. The Z09 code description in ICD-10 includes "medical surveillance following completed treatment", so this classification better captures what you're describing here.

Last edited:
This code is likely not appropriate for your case because, as indicated in the ICD-10 note, code Z03.818 is for a patient without a diagnosis, but who requires an encounter for medical services due to a suspected condition which has subsequently been ruled out.

It's hard to advise you on this without seeing the records, but in this situation, your patient has an actual history of COVID-19 - it is not a case of it having been ruled out - so an aftercare code (e.g. Z09 or Z51.89) with the history code Z86.19 may be more appropriate if the disease has resolved but the patient is receiving follow-up care due this history. The Z09 code description in ICD-10 includes "medical surveillance following completed treatment", so this classification better captures what you're describing here.

Thank you so much! I have been back and forth for far too long as to how to code this situation. I really appreciate your help!