Wiki M05.89 with D89.9 THEN M06.09 with D89.9

Tine

Best answers
I just started coding Rheumatology and I have a dilemma. Some of my providers are putting M05.89 (Other rheumatoid arthritis with rheumatoid factor of multiple site) with D89.9 (Disorder involving the immune mechanism) but to me that seems redundant. The patient is sometimes on an immune suppressing medication (such as methotrexate or DMARD or both) and sometimes they are not.

Then I come across claims where they code M06.09 (Rheumatoid arthritis without rheumatoid factor, multiple sites) with D89.9 (Disorder involving the immune mechanism) as above with the patient taking an immune suppressant and sometimes not.

Am I understanding this incorrectly or is this double coding since RA is an immune disease in its own right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

edited to correct M06.9 to M06.09

Without seeing the documentation or knowing the provider's diagnosis of the patients' diseases, there's no definitive way of knowing whether or not the code choices are correct. But if D89.9 is coded, that does need to be supported by a separate diagnosis or condition documented in the patient's record - it is not a correct code assignment for rheumatoid arthritis alone.