Wiki M99.6-- vs M48.--

Best answers
There is some confusion amongst my co-workers about when to use M99.6-- (osseous and subluxation of the intervertebral foramina of -insert any spinal level-) vs M48.-- (spinal stenosis). If the doctor says stenosis of foramen, would M99. be appropriate? We're hung up because the M99 code has a note stating this category should not be used if it can be classified elsewhere. Should M48. or M99. be used even when doctor says "foraminal stenosis" (no mention of osseous subluxation).

Hi LGregg,:)
I 'd use the dx M48.062 if reference to spine vs dx M48.02 if focus on cervical neck region. Foraminal stenosis is common in the elderly population , characterized by narrowing of the bony exit of the nerve root due to degenerative changes in the intervertebral discs, zygapophyseal joint, ligaments, and bony parts. Also per ICD10 manual can add dx M54 Radiculopathy if warranted in the notation. What Is Radiculopathy ? Commonly referred to as a pinched nerve, radiculopathy is injury or damage to nerve roots in the area of the spine.
Well I hope helped you somewhat in this coding dilemma. :)
Lady T