Wiki MATERNAL FETAL MEDICINE

Best answers
Hello,
I am seeking some feedback on consult and office visit in the maternal fetal medicine specialty. My docs aren't billing e/m's or consults and I think they are missing out on revenue. Does a general exam usually take place? Would you use components from the fetus or mom? For example, heartbeat ( cardiovascular) placenta, uterus ( GU) this would give me EPF exam.. Or am I looking at it incorrectly?

For a consult a request has to be made by another health care professional for the patient to see the mfm.
The report must include the reason for the request. The MFM will review present, past medical, social and family history; review medical records if available and inform the patient of the various options of treatment or management as it pertains to her conditions/particulars. The report will include a plan.

An amniocentesis is a procedure and must be coded for the procedure. Not a consult.
Yes, I am aware, thank you.

What I was trying to get at was, what exactly is happening? Why does the OP think there should be a consult or E&M billed? Some providers just do procedures based on what another doctor orders, other providers want to do their own full workup and decide what to do.