Wiki Mechanical Thrombectomy of Pulmonary Arteries

Jane5711

Networker
Best answers
Hi,
I need some help with this op report. I'm thinking of CPT code 37184 but would that cover both thrombectomies.

Indication for Surgery Submassive pulmonary embolism with evidence of right ventricular strain.

Preoperative Diagnosis Submassive pulmonary embolism with evidence of right ventricular strain

Postoperative Diagnosis Same as preoperative diagnosis Operation Mechanical thrombectomy of pulmonary embolism using Inari catheter system.

Anesthesiologist None Anesthesia Moderate sedation, patient administered 1 mg of Versed and 50 mcg of fentanyl Estimated Blood Loss 50 cc

Findings Retrieval of large thrombus from pulmonary trunk, right and left pulmonary artery. Postprocedure pulmonary angiogram without any evidence of significant thrombus. Specimen(s) None Complications None

Technique Patient was brought to the cardiac catheterization lab in stable condition. Informed consent was verified and a timeout was performed. Right groin access site was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion. Right common femoral vein access was performed under ultrasound guidance using a micropuncture sheath. Next a 6 French sheath was advanced over standard J-wire. Next two Perclose closure devices were deployed as part of a preclose strategy. Next an 11 French sheath was advanced over the standard J-wire. A 6 French Swan-Ganz catheter was advanced into the right pulmonary artery. Next a 0.35 Amplatz wire was advanced through the Swan-Ganz catheter and the Swan-Ganz catheter was removed. Next the 11 French sheath was exchanged for a 24 French sheath. The Inari catheter was advanced to the sheath and placed in right pulmonary artery. Multiple aspirations were performed in this position. Next a multipurpose catheter was advanced through the 24 French sheath and placed in left pulmonary artery. Next the Amplatz wire was advanced through the multipurpose sheath and Inari curve catheter was placed in left main pulmonary artery over the Amplatz wire. Multiple aspirations were performed in this position. Final angiographic images were obtained confirming satisfactory results.

TIA

I'm finally on this part of AAPC. I would code this 37184 with either a modifier 50 or RT/LT depending on the third party payer. Also code for catheter positions which is 36015 and again depending on insurance modifier -50 or RT & LT.
HTH,
Jim