Wiki Med Onc/Infusion

sroller

New
Best answers
I am new to oncology and infusion billing and learning as I go at my new job. I am slowly but surely starting to understand the CPT codes and how they work with each other, the medicines are another story though. I have a few questions though as I have received conflicting information.

1. 96368 Concurrent charge, can you use it for a second chemo drug being infused or can it only be used in a therapeutic sense?
2. 36415 being billed with an infusion either chemo or therapeutic, are you allowed to bill for the venipuncture if they did a blood draw for the same encounter?

Any tips, tricks, or resources would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this code set and their guidelines. Thank you!

36415 no if there is a port draw for labs if drawn through another access then yes. Port access for blood draw is 36591 but can't bill flush and can't be used in any infusion are done. The 96368 is only when there are two meds running at the same time chemo or others and can only be charged once. If a second chemo drug is infused you will follow the chemo codes. If magnesium which would be a therapeutic is done after chemo infusion then the first hour would be 96367 and 96366 for any additional hours. Give me your email and I will send you a list I put together for cancer center.

36415 no if there is a port draw for labs if drawn through another access then yes. Port access for blood draw is 36591 but can't bill flush and can't be used in any infusion are done. The 96368 is only when there are two meds running at the same time chemo or others and can only be charged once. If a second chemo drug is infused you will follow the chemo codes. If magnesium which would be a therapeutic is done after chemo infusion then the first hour would be 96367 and 96366 for any additional hours. Give me your email and I will send you a list I put together for cancer center.
Thank you Nichole. My email is sabmarroll786@icloud.com...I understand that a port draw can only be billed by itself or with labs and nothing else. My problem is with the venipunctures specifically, I see that they will first do a venipuncture for labs, then they will start the IV and continue with infusion, I don't see anything saying you can't bill for the venipuncture with the infusion or any edits for the two codes together. Or the will start an IV draw the blood specimen from that IV and then continue with the infusion and I just want to make sure I am not missing something they could also be billing for.

Wondering if you were able to email that list? I haven't seen anything in my email. Thanks in advance!