Wiki Mediastinotomy for cardiopulm bypass placement

Best answers
My surgeon was asked to place a patient on cardiopulmonary bypass so that the primary surgeon could excise a rt renal mass with caval thrombosis extending into the rt atrium.
My surgeon did a mediastinotomy with placing the pt on aorto atrial femoral bypass. How do I code this???? This is my first post so I hope I"ve done it correctly! Any suggestions would be most apprieciated!!

I just had to do this with my surgeon. 39010-62 was the code I used. I did not have to do a bypass though. Just looked this all up and nothing about a bypass is mentioned in the procedure. don't know if this will help you or not

Last edited:
It sounds like your part of the procedure (mediastinotomy w/placing pt on bypass) is integral component of total procedure. I think you should have coordinated this with the primary surgeon. You should use the codes the primary surgeon uses for excising a rt renal mass with caval thrombosis extending into the rt atrium. Modifier 62 should be appended by both primary surgeons and your surgeon. Your surgeon should do a separate op-note.
Sorry for late response.