Mediastinotomy for cardiopulm bypass placement

Best answers
My surgeon was asked to place a patient on cardiopulmonary bypass so that the primary surgeon could excise a rt renal mass with caval thrombosis extending into the rt atrium.
My surgeon did a mediastinotomy with placing the pt on aorto atrial femoral bypass. How do I code this???? This is my first post so I hope I"ve done it correctly! Any suggestions would be most apprieciated!!

rykin7609

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I just had to do this with my surgeon. 39010-62 was the code I used. I did not have to do a bypass though. Just looked this all up and nothing about a bypass is mentioned in the procedure. don't know if this will help you or not

Last edited:
Best answers
I was going to use the 39010 but with a 66 modifier. All my surgeon did was place pt on bypass.
Thanks for helping me feel better about my choice of code!

Michelle Thompson

Networker
Best answers
It sounds like your part of the procedure (mediastinotomy w/placing pt on bypass) is integral component of total procedure. I think you should have coordinated this with the primary surgeon. You should use the codes the primary surgeon uses for excising a rt renal mass with caval thrombosis extending into the rt atrium. Modifier 62 should be appended by both primary surgeons and your surgeon. Your surgeon should do a separate op-note.
Sorry for late response.