Wiki Medicaid Hearing Codes

Best answers
Hey guys, so I recently just started a job with an audiology company. We do hearing tests and the selling of hearing aids. I need a little help with understanding Medicaid on the subject. We recently just became credentialed with Medicaid and they will pay for digital hearing aids for a person 21 years or younger. We mainly deal with the older community though, so medicaid will not pay for them to have hearing aids unless they are digitally programmable analog, such as V25244. The problem that we are running into is that many manufacturing companies no longer make analog hearing aids. My boss first asked if all my information was update(which it is as I just got the information from the DMAS website), but then he also wants to know if there is a possible way to still get the digital hearing aid codes, such as V5253, to go through with a patient over 21. I just need a little help and some second opinions in making sure I have all the right information to present to him. Thanks so much guys!

You didn't specify which state. This is an area that is optional for each state. Here is a list of states and whether Medicaid covers hearing aids at all (many do not). In some states where they are not otherwise covered, they are covered in some of the Medicaid HMOs, which might be an option for your patients.

If they are not covered, there isn't much you can do.

Oh I'm sorry. I'm in Virginia. Yes I figured that there probably wasn't but I wanted to make sure I wasn't reading something wrong.

Now this may sound like a dumb question but what is Medicaid HMO?

In many states, Medicaid patients have the option to join an HMO instead of using their regular Medicaid, much like Medicare patients do. These HMOs usually come with extra benefits that regular Medicaid does not. Here in California, Anthem, Kaiser, and Healthnet, among others, offer a Medicaid HMO.

In many states, Medicaid patients have the option to join an HMO instead of using their regular Medicaid, much like Medicare patients do. These HMOs usually come with extra benefits that regular Medicaid does not. Here in California, Anthem, Kaiser, and Healthnet, among others, offer a Medicaid HMO.
[/QUOTE

So those types of insurances may just pay for the hearing aids then? Because we are credentialed with Anthem Healthkeepers Plus and Optima Health Community Care for examples. So, I may just have to call these specific insurances to see if they will pay for them while Medicaid themselves will not.