Wiki Medical Records - Bound or Not Bound

bbernal

New
Best answers
I would appreciate everyone's opinion on what the gold standard is - bound or unbound medical records - both my derm and pediatrician do not bind their records and the papers are flying all over and disorganized. I believe the docs appear disorganized, chance for error greater, etc. with unbound records -am I wrong here? Once on EMR it is a moot point - until then, what is considered the gold standard? My practice has always bound and used section dividers. I am currently consulting with a new practice and they do not bind their records.....
Thanks!
Barbara Bernal MBA,CPC

Our physicians work within the hospital and the hospital's medical records are bound and organized. They use a simple folder that has a metal fastener at the top on each side of the folder when you open it. Of course, now we are EMR though (thank goodness!).

I agree with you, they have more of a chance for error being unbound/unorganized.

Good luck! :)

I agree with Donna totally. What could possibly be the advantage of "unbound"? In a "heaven-forbid" audit situation, an auditor wants to see everything organized in chronilogical order. Why would we want to hand them a chart that's disorganized and potentially has missing stuff or worse...someone's stuff.

Jenna

I agree - to me it's a no brainer - but to these physicians, it's like you are suggesting some foreign method of practicing medicine - thanks for your comments Donna and Jenna. I would still love to hear from some other office based practitioners!!
Thanks so much!
Barbara Coupe Bernal MBA CPC