Wiki Medical Records Dept. Policy and Procedures Manual

jobij

Best answers
I recently started a new position has a Medical Records Clerk/Coder and I am needed to update the departments Policy and Procedure Manual. Since this is a Hospital I know I am required to abide by state and federal laws but am having trouble finding the correct policies. If I could find a table of contents somewhere online for Texas Hospitals it would be great. Does anyone have any information on where I could obtain this info? This manual has not been updated since 2006! I am starting from stratch and would need to add EMR info as well. Any advice is greatly appreicated.:confused:

Thanks

P&P Manual Update

I would recommend getting on TxHIMA (Texas Health Information Management) website and seeing if there are a few contacts on there to help guide you or to call around surrounding hospitals to see if someone can help guide you or - there maybe resources available to you on the website as well. I know that in Arkansas, ArHIMA has a legal book that is maintained and we can order it to clarify any state laws and regs that may need to be followed. It would be good to network with other HIM Professionals in your area as well to see if they can share policies with you. I hope that this helps a little.

Thanks

Rachel Nelson, RHIA, CPC