Wiki Menisectomy or repair?

LTibbetts

Best answers
My question is: Is there a significant way to tell the difference between a menisectomy and a repair of meniscus (29880-29881 vs 29882-29883)? I have an op note that says partial menisectomies (lateral and medial) and medial compartment debridement but I just wanted to know when can you tell if it goes from menisectomy to a repair. On this op note the lateral tear was small and resected with punches while the medial tear was a complex tear with vertical as well as flap components but was also resected with punches. These would be menisectomies, right? How much more would he have to do to count as a repair?

Meniscal repairs

The meniscus has different zones - the red zone and the white zone - the red zone on the outer edge has a blood supply, while the white zone does not have adequate blood supply. So depending on where the tear is - it may be able to be repaired vs. resected.

Any time you read the term debrided or resected you would use 29881 or 29880.

When the surgeon is repairing the meniscus he would be mending it with sutures or darts that would bring the two sides of the tear together.