Wiki Microfracture documentation

jdibble

True Blue
Best answers
Hi Coders,

I am trying to find information on what would be required (if there is a specific requirement of wording) for my provider to document to bill 29879 for a microfracture. He did a Meniscectomy of the lateral and medial meniscus and the microfracture. Diagnoses documented support all codes. The portion of his note for the microfracture states: The articular surface of the medial tibial plateau revealed mild thinning. A microfracture chondroplasty was performed of the chondral defect of the medial femoral condyle. Attention to the intercondylar notch was then made with excision of hypertrophic synovium was carried out. Anterior cruciate ligament was attenuated and marginal osteophytes of the intercondylar notch identified.

The question is, is this enough documentation to support billing the microfracture. If it is not, is there a reference somewhere that would explain what is needed to document to bill this code. Also, if anyone has a supporting reference to support the documentation as is would be helpful too. I have reviewed the lay term description through Codify and there is nothing there that would help verify if more documentation is needed.

The reason I am asking is during an audit of the coding on this providers surgery, it was stated that the documentation does not support billing for the microfracture because the "documentation does not support the debridement of unstable or fragmented cartilage with a motorized suction cutter that would support the 29879 procedure code." I do not see anywhere that a motorized suction cutter is required for a microfracture (rather all descriptions I do see say an awl is used). The auditor does not offer where their information comes from, however states that if the coder "has authoritative information to present to the auditor, the auditor will review and consider."

Any ideas about this supporting or disputing the documentation (with any supporting references) is welcome! If the documentation is not enough, examples of appropriate documentation of a microfracture would be helpful too so I have information if I need to go back to my provider and instruct him that his documentation is insufficient.

Thank you!
Jodi

Although it is stated, "microfracture chondroplasty" it needs to be more descriptive. They are probably looking for words like "down to bleeding bone (subchondral) or drilling of holes". The provider should tell more of the story of what they did and what that procedure accomplished specifically. Provider states the following but nothing else then immediately moves on to the next structure. "The articular surface of the medial tibial plateau revealed mild thinning. A microfracture chondroplasty was performed of the chondral defect of the medial femoral condyle." Simply having a diagnosis that may support it is not enough.

Try checking CPT Assistant, AAOS or KZA resources.
This is not necessarily authoritative, but may help you understand and has references to AAOS, AMA etc.: https://www.beckersspine.com/orthop...n-ascs-bottom-line?oly_enc_id=5045F0863212C8J
"Documentation requirements:
According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, "The abrasion arthroplasty or microfracture code (29879) is appropriate when the procedure exposes bleeding subchondral bone." Documentation must support this."
They are looking for words like this too. From Codify:
Summary
The provider examines the inside of the knee joint with an arthroscope. She repairs the joint by reshaping the articular cartilage covering its ball and socket, grinding its surface and in some cases drilling the cartilage or excising it and puncturing the underlying bone to create small fractures, or breaks, encouraging new growth. The procedure relieves pain and improves mobility in the joint.

Premera polic example words: https://www.premera.com/medicalpolicies/7.01.549.pdf "Microfracture: A type of surgery used to repair damaged articular cartilage. The surgeon makes small holes in the bone just below the cartilage, which then allows stem cells from the bone marrow to get to the surface and stimulate cartilage growth. This works best when the defect isless than 2 centimeters in diameter and the individual is younger than 30 years of age"