• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

MOD 25 usage by dermatologist

Best answers
established patient, derm performs full body or sometimes upper body exam, does cryo and documents that patients old (not from a recent visit) melanoma scar is/has healed nicely. Scar is usually locate in same area of body as cryo.

Bill procedure and E/M with 25 modifier.

I say no E/M.

What do you say.

Evan Sade, CHC, CPC

cgifford

Contributor
Best answers
You state a full or partial body skin exam was done, was this documented? If it was not documented then it wasn't done. But if the full body was done and documented then I would bill the E&M with the Cryo but again the body skin exam would have to be documented in order to consider that.

Colleen, CPC,CPCD,CPB

Last edited:

CatchTheWind

True Blue
Best answers
I agree. A full skin exam is a billable service as long as there is a "history of skin cancer" diagnosis (not just preventive visit).

az2tn@yahoo.com

Networker
Best answers
E/M global or bundled?

I agree. A full skin exam is a billable service as long as there is a "history of skin cancer" diagnosis (not just preventive visit).

I'm doing a derm audit. My first one and I'm confused. And I don't code for derm either. So this is all new to me. The edits I'm getting are saying an E/M on the same day as UVB therapy, cryotherapy, biopsy is either bundled or they are in a global and some of these patients are coming in for a skin check with a hx of basal cell, squamous cell and melanoma and then something is found and it is addressed at the visit with a procedure. Could someone point me in the right direction for some official guidance on an E/M being supported if a full skin exam is done? And are we talking a comprehensive skin exam 97 guidelines? Thank you :)

Best answers
E/M global or bundled?

Hello az2tn@yahoo.com,

I just recently did a few derm audits as well; if the patient presented and was scheduled for the minor office procedure(s) than a separate e/m should not be billed unless it is for a different problem/DX. If the patient presented for their TBSE (Total Body Skin Exam) and say seborrhic keratoses was found and cryotherapy was performed than you would bill the e/m service with modifier 25. If the e/m or minor procedure performed within a global period than you would need to make sure the appropriate modifiers were on the service(s).

As far as the e/m auditing I did follow the 1997 Dermatology Specialty Exam Guidelines. In order to support a billable e/m service the provider would need to do more than only perform a full skin exam. If the patient was established (where I audit) the medical decision making is always one of the two key components used to level out the service. If a new patient the documentation would have to support all three key components (history, exam, medical decision making) to level the service.

I hope this has somewhat helped clarify :)

Last edited:

JesseL

Expert
Best answers
Per some sources, https://www.aap.org/en-us/professional-resources/practice-transformation/getting-paid/Coding-at-the-AAP/Pages/Modifier-25-Primer-Use-It-Dont-Abuse-It.aspx

and https://www.medicaleconomics.com/category-47287/everything-doctors-need-know-about-modifier-25

To bill modifier 25:
The E/M service must be significant. The problem must warrant physician work that is medically necessary. This can be defined as a problem that requires treatment with a prescription or a problem that would require the patient or family to return for another visit to address it. A minor problem or concern would not warrant the billing of an E/M-25 service.

So it seems if the separate problem is too minor, modifier 25 is not billable.

I do disagree with this though...

Last edited: