Wiki Modifier 21?

Nope, this modifier was deleted; see Appendix A in your CPT book. It's replaced with the prolonged care codes, 99354-99357

Last edited:
Thanks! Now the question is how do I code (for Medicare) Treatment discussion plans (Pts that have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer) . Since Medicare does not pay consults anymore how can I code the Office visit established pt (99215) with over 40mins but not up over an hour more than 40 mns (99354)?

If these Treatment Discussion/Plan visits meet the guidelines for counseling and coordinating care, then code the entire visit based on time.

Meaning these 40 minute visits would code and bill as a 99215

Counseling and coordinating guideline: if more than 50% of the visit is spent counseling and coordinating (rather than eval and treatemnt), then code the encounter based on time rather than Hist/Exam/MDM.

Must document the total visit time. Must document how much of the time was specific to C&C. Must document "sufficient detail" to support time claimed.

For example, if the visit was 90 minutes and C&C guidelines are met. You would code 99215 (40 min) plus 99354 (prolonged care) for the remaining 50 minutes

Thank you!! I saw that i(afterwards) in the appendix A (I also meant to say over 40 mins but not quite and hour additional.) So If my doc spends 60 mins. 40 mins 99215- and 20mins-99354 (and all cc guidlines are being met) then would I use mod? When I submitted to medicare as such, they denied. When I initially submitted, I did not use a mod.

Helen

You have this same Treatment Plan issue under the E&M section "prolonged E&M coding" and are getting duplicate and repeative responses.

I and several others have posted to both to try and make sure you get the info you need but seems to be causing a lot of confusion plus time involved

no need to apologize. Posted partly for the confusion but also so that you knew you had info/responses coming in both places.