Wiki Modifier 26 Question

mmelcam

Expert
Best answers
My physician did a port placement under fluoroscopic guidance. He dictated his operative report and mentions in the body of his report that fluoroscopic guidence was used. He states that "the guidewire was advanced under fluoroscopic control. Fluoroscopy was used and the dilator and peel-away sheath were advanced." My physician wants to bill for the professional component of the fluorosopic guidence. My questions is......is mentioning fluoroscopic guidence in the body of the operative report enough documentation or does he have to do a seperate report for the fluoroscopic guidence in order to bill for the professional component?

My understanding it that you can bill the fluoro with -26 modifier no separate report is necessary

it is just indicating that this is the portion of the fluoroscopy that the physician actually performed/read in order to ensure accuracy during the surgical case.

If you use a code where the descriptor states "radiological supervision and interpretation", then a formal report is required.

Hope this helps

caprice, cpc