Wiki Modifier 62 Co-surgeons- Oklahoma Medicaid

jocarter

Networker
Best answers
Per CPT book: when 2 surgeons work together as primary surgeons performing distinct part(s) of a procedure, each surgeon should report his/her distinct operative work by adding modifier 62 to the procedure code and any associated add-on code(s) for that procedure as long as both surgeons continue to work together as primary surgeons. Each surgeon should report the co-surgery once using the same procedure code.

Per the above statement, shouldn't both surgeons dictate seperate operative notes to specify which parts of the surgery they performed... I have 2 surgeons, same specialty, trying to bill as co-surgeons for 33612
Repair of double outlet right ventricle with intraventricular tunnel repair; with repair of right ventricular outflow tract obstruction

The problem I am coming across is there is only one operative note dictated and it does NOT clarify which physician performed what... Just that one was the surgeon and one was co-surgeon.
I do not feel that we should be billing this out under both surgeons since the dictation doesnt clarify who did what!!!

Any thoughts on this???

yes you must have two separate operative notes to bill the 62 each surgeon must independently dictate his part of the procedure. This is specified in the federal register for the 62 modifier. In your case you have a surgeon and an assistant surgeon.

Good opportunity to educate the two providers

Good Morning,

I see this as a great opportunity to train the surgeons why each should document what they did in surgery in an operative report. Normally they don't get paid for what they don't own right?