Wiki Modifier for IGM & IGG Tesing

DPRATT

Best answers
There has been debate on what modifier is used for 86617 x2 for Lyme IGG & IGM. Is it 59 or 91?
Also in listening to 2 different AAPC webinars if you have a BMP with a glucose in it and then the physician orders just a glucose later, I have heard you use a 59 on the glucose and then in another webinar I heard to use a 91 on the glucose- can you please clarify?

Thanks DP

Hi, I use the 91 modifier. I also have all procedure codes 86617 stopped in my wq to add a description to each laboratory test being performed (IgG or IgM). That has cut down on working with denials.
For the glucose and BMP I use the 59 modifier - odds are you will still get denied. You will have to appeal sending both results and hopefully a well documented office visit supporting why they were both done.

I see the confusion because my coworker and myself are also confused about the IgG, IgM and IgA modifiers. We were instructed to use 59 because each test is testing a different antibody. Also on the single glucose, we were instructed that it would be a 91 since it is a repeat of the same test on the same day at a different time. We only do laboratory billing and it is really difficult to find much information on just lab billing and coding. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.